Sold $980,000 SOLD (List: 699K) - Single Family Home
3149 California is a charming 1920’s 2+BD/2BA bungalow brimming with period detail and featuring a lower-level bonus studio garden in-law unit, entrancing enclosed back garden with fruit trees and vines, and detached single-car storage garage or studio. Conveniently located on a quiet street in Oakland’s burgeoning Laurel neighborhood, this home delights at every turn.
The home captivates you even before you enter, as you are greeted by olive trees, shrubs, and a romantic arched grape vine above the front door. Once inside, you will find yourself in a 1920’s-style living room anchored by a period fireplace with tapered chimney and framed on all sides by vintage windows, crown moldings, and notched ceiling details. With hardwood floors and plenty of natural light, this inviting space opens through a wide arch to the dining room, which continues the themes and moldings of the living room and features a wide double window.
The bright and airy retro-style kitchen features a vintage enameled cast-iron 4-burner gas range with griddle, dual-compartment porcelain-enamel sink, natural stone counters, tiled backsplashes, Bosch dishwasher, and vintage cabinet detailing throughout. The breakfast nook beyond features an original corner built-in china cupboard. Two lovely bedrooms and a full bath complete the main level of this beguiling home.
On the garden level below, conveniently accessed by an internal staircase, you will find the shared washer/dryer and a spacious bonus studio au-pair unit with full bath that opens directly onto the verdant back garden. With a partial kitchen and a full bath with jetted tub, this wonderful space makes an ideal place to house guests, create a media or owner’s suite area, or simply unwind.
The back garden delights at every turn; with wooden and flagstone terraces, lemon and fig trees, grape vines, and a detached single-car garage ideal for storage or to use as a workshop, this expansive space is the perfect place to host a garden party or while away a Sunday afternoon.
With easy access to the I-580, Montclair Village, Lakeshore and Downtown Oakland’s wonderful restaurants and amenities, a nearby walkable natural grocery store and other amenities, and Redwood and Joaquin Miller Regional Parks, 3149 California offers a perfect marriage of urban proximity and old-timey neighborhood charm. This enchanting, immaculate, and beautifully preserved vintage bungalow is ready to be yours.
Highlights at a Glance:
• 2BD/1BA 1920’s bungalow with 1BD/1BA au-pair unit on a tranquil tree-lined street
• Conveniently located in Oakland’s burgeoning Laurel neighborhood, near the I-580, Lakeshore and Downtown Oakland’s wonderful restaurants and amenities, and Redwood and Joaquin Miller Regional Parks
• 1,056 square-foot house on a beautifully landscaped 3,400-square-foot lot
• 1920’s-style living and dining rooms featuring an original fireplace with tapered chimney, vintage window and crown moldings, notched ceiling details, and hardwood floors
• Bright and airy retro-style kitchen and breakfast nook featuring a vintage enameled cast-iron 4-burner gas range with griddle, dual-compartment porcelain-enamel sink, natural stone counters and tiled backsplashes, Bosch dishwasher, and vintage cabinet detailing
• Spacious bonus 1BD/1BA garden-level au-pair unit including a large studio with partial kitchen and a full bath with jetted tub
• Expansive verdant private back garden with wooden and flagstone terraces, lemon and fig trees, and grape vines
• Ample storage throughout
• Central heating
• Seismic upgrade
• Updated plumbing and electrical
• Detached single-car garage ideal for storage or to use as a workshop
• Long driveway and ample street parking
• Built in 1927
3149 California offers a wonderful combination of close proximity to parks and amenities, quiet neighborhood location, and oodles of retro charm. This lovely property truly has it all. We warmly invite you to come experience this beautiful home.