Sold $1,250,000 SOLD (List: 995K) - Single Family Home
At the edge of the East Bay’s glorious parks with beautiful views of San Francisco Bay and Marin County, 258 Lake is a sublimely peaceful retreat, with potential au pair unit, that seamlessly fuses vintage design elements with a modern architectural aesthetic. Just minutes from the East Bay’s best hiking, biking, and amenities and offering quick access to Marin, the greater East Bay, and Downtown Oakland, 258 Lake is a setting and a property that is bound to inspire and nurture the soul.
This home’s zen-like energy is palpable even before you enter, as the house is shielded from its quiet street by a tall and beautifully manicured hedge. Once inside, you will find yourself in a stunning common room with soaring vaulted ceilings and glass doors at both ends. Bathed in natural light, this vast space retains original mid-century features, such as a wood-burning fireplace and built-in china cupboard, but it has been ingeniously updated to create a single unified room whose soaring cathedral ceiling lends it a sacred air. Both this room and the family room and owner’s bedroom open onto the deck, which offers beautiful garden and Bay views. The resplendently calm energy of this very special space envelopes you.
Throughout the home, you will delight in this delicious melding of vintage detail and a modern approach to space. The kitchen and family room, at one time separate, now form a single spacious area with deck access, yet the cheery kitchen cabinets retain their old-school charm, right down to their bakelite handles. The owner’s bedroom has been expanded to create a much larger and more luxurious space. The hall bathroom features a superb 1940’s built-in vanity. And the beautiful old oak floors remain, exquisitely mirrored by the common area’s expansive pine ceiling.
In addition to this home’s extraordinary living spaces, it boasts a vast finished lower level with its own entrance, full of surprising and exciting bonus areas. A potential au-pair unit, complete with partial kitchen, looks right onto the lower-level patio and the inviting back yard. An art-studio room and garden room add even more tantalizing possibilities. At the top of the stairs, you will find the convenient attached single-car garage and laundry.
258 Lake offers a captivating and harmonious mix of elements, from vintage to modern, from lush private garden to wide-open view, from luxurious upstairs living areas to intimate downstairs bonus spaces. With its close proximity to the East Bay’s most spectacular parks and quick and easy access to the greater Bay Area, 258 Lake is a truly irresistible hidden gem.
Highlights at a Glance:
• 3-bedroom, 2-bath renovated mid-century house on a tranquil residential street
• Beautifully situated near Wildcat Canyon and Tilden Parks in upper Kensington with wide-open views of Marin County, Mount Tamalpais, and San Francisco Bay
• +/-2500 square-foot house on a beautifully landscaped 5500-square-foot lot
• Wonderful back-roads commute options: Take Grizzly Peak Blvd to Highway 24 to get to Downtown Oakland while enjoying sweeping views, or take easily accessible alternate routes to Danville, Walnut Creek, and Marin County
• Beautifully preserved original vintage features, including wood-burning fireplace, 1940’s kitchen cabinets with bakelite handles, built-in bathroom vanity and dining-area cupboard, oak hardwood floors, and vintage trim
• Modern features, including an open floor plan and cathedral ceiling in the common area, an open kitchen with adjoining family room, and a spacious owner’s bedroom with deck access
• Central outdoor deck accessible on three sides by sliding glass doors from the common area, family room, and owner’s bedroom
• Bright and airy kitchen with adjoining the family room and breakfast nook, featuring quartz countertops, 4-burner gas range, vintage cabinets and detailing, and deck access
• Several additional bonus spaces on the lower level, including an art-studio room and potential au-pair unit, with separate entrance and direct access to the lower-level patio
• Central heating
• Bedroom and hall storage throughout
• Attached single-car garage with electric opener
• Ample street parking
• Enclosed private backyard bordered by trees and charming ivy-covered fences
• Built in 1946
Offering stunning views of Marin County and Mount Tamalpais and located just minutes from North Berkeley and Kensington amenities, Downtown Oakland and Berkeley, and the East Bay’s best hiking and biking, 258 Lake is an extraordinarily calm and peaceful urban retreat. We warmly invite you to come experience this beautiful home.