Sold $1,885,000 SOLD (List: 1.695M) - Single Family Home
A sublime and inviting home on one of the best-loved blocks in all of Alameda, 1700 Dayton Avenue is a supremely elegant 4BD/3.5BA 1920’s New England-style home brimming with splendid interior detailing, radiating an irresistibly convivial warmth and charm. Located on Alameda’s celebrated Palmera Court near Franklin Elementary School and Franklin Park, this superb 2911 square foot home effortlessly embodies all of the classic style and generous spirit that make this pocket of Alameda the envy of the entire East Bay.
This lovely home cheerfully greets you with its manicured boxwood hedges and sparkling brick and white facade. Once inside, you will find yourself in a spacious and inviting foyer opening onto a series of exquisitely proportioned common areas. From practical features such as vintage-style built-in shelving and cabinetry to decorative ones such as the spiraled newel post, low wraparound wainscotting, arched doorways, stately crown mouldings, ornamental woodwork, multi-pane windows, french doors, plantation shutters, hardwood floors, vintage ceramic black-and-white checkerboard floor, and the box-beamed ceiling, this home makes every space special.
This is the ideal home for entertaining. Flooded with natural light and anchored by a stately fireplace, the vast formal living room easily accommodates large parties or a grand piano, while the elegant formal dining room’s multi-pane windows gaze serenely out to the rear garden. The phenomenal sun porch opens to the garden, as does the newly refreshed cook’s kitchen. The breakfast area is no mere nook, but an ample room whose bar closet features a wine refrigerator, sink, and counter. Cleverly placed built-in cabinets in the short kitchen hallway smartly maximize space, while a versatile corner butcher-block counter/bar is the perfect place for friends and young ones to gather and enjoy meals and celebrations together. Wraparound quartz counters, a trash compactor, and other modern touches keep the kitchen light and contemporary while still honoring its timeless spirit.
This home boasts a multitude of other charms in addition to its gorgeous common areas. Its four spacious bedrooms include a guest room/office with built-in desks and the wonderful owner’s suite, which features a large modern bath and extensive walk-in closet and dressing room area. Outside, the enclosed rear garden boasts a basketball hoop and built-in gas grill with extra burner. The lovely detached single-car garage, built to match the style of the house, makes the perfect studio or garden lounge and offers ample ground-level and attic storage. And the basement off the kitchen conveniently houses the washer/dryer and extra storage area.
Astonishingly, 1700 Dayton’s neighborhood is just as extraordinary as the house itself. Known for its exceptionally convivial spirit, year-round neighborhood events, holiday celebrations, close proximity to Franklin Elementary School and Park, and more, this tiny and sought-after area attracts a devoted and tight-knit group of residents from near and far. With all of Alameda’s countless restaurants, shops, amenities, parks, beaches, and other attractions just moments away, the very best of Alameda – and the East Bay – is yours.
Highlights at a Glance:
• Elegant 4BD/3+BA 1920’s New England-style home in the heart of Alameda’s Palmera Court near Franklin Elementary School and Franklin Park
• Exceptionally convivial and sought-after neighborhood hosts year-round neighborhood events, holiday celebrations, and more
• Lovely 2,911 square foot home with manicured boxwood hedges and sparkling brick and white wood facade
• Ideal home for entertaining
• Exquisitely proportioned common areas full of magnificent details, including vintage-style built-in shelving and cabinetry, fireplace, spiraled newel post, low wraparound wainscotting, arched doorways, stately crown mouldings and ornamental woodwork, multi-pane windows and french doors, plantation shutters, hardwood and vintage ceramic black-and-white checkerboard floors, and a box-beamed ceiling
• Vast formal living room is flooded with natural light and easily accommodates large parties or a grand piano
• Elegant formal dining room’s multi-pane windows gaze serenely out to the rear garden
• Phenomenal sun porch opens to the garden, as does the newly refreshed chef’s kitchen
• Breakfast room with bar closet featuring a wine refrigerator, sink, and counter
• Updated cook’s kitchen features quartz counters and subway-tiled backsplashes, a trash compactor and other modern appliances, new gas range and oven, new sink, and corner butcher-block counter
• Owner’s suite features a large jetted tub, rain shower with secondary shower head, and extensive walk-in closet and dressing room area
• Enclosed rear garden boasts a basketball hoop and built-in gas grill with extra burner
• Lovely detached single-car garage, built to match the style of the house, makes the perfect studio or garden lounge and offers ample ground-level and attic storage
• Convenient basement off kitchen houses washer/dryer and offers extra storage
• Updated plumbing and 200-amp wiring
• Dual-zone central heating
• Built in 1925