Sold $1,100,000 SOLD (List: 849K) - Duplex
Beautifully situated on a sunny corner in the heart of West Oakland, 1655 and 1657 12th Street are the ground and upper levels of a beautifully updated Italianate Victorian duplex, offering bright and cheerful enclosed gardens and featuring soaring high ceilings, modern updated kitchens and baths, and a winning marriage of vintage and contemporary design details.
Entering your property through its secured gate on Campbell Street, you find yourself instantly transported to another world, removed from the urban fray. Your home’s enchanting Victorian facade cheerfully greets you, beckoning you past the garden and patio area that stretches luxuriously off to your right. Your ground-level entrance is just ahead, as are the stairs to your upper unit and its dedicated deck. The garden buzzes with life and features a patio and fire pit area, vegetable beds, several fruit trees, and other greenery.
Your ground-floor unit is airy and modern, all pale grays, warm whites, and period trims. High ceilings, bamboo hardwood floors, and regal extra-tall windows bring space and sunlight to every room, and the home’s appealing floor plan plays with the light, allowing you to see different rooms from different angles in the home’s open common areas. Three beautiful bedrooms and a chic updated tiled bath give you a range of spaces to enjoy, while your open kitchen and and breakfast area imbue the space with the flavor of a loft. Modern appliances, including a gas range, and a conveniently located washer/dryer make your home both stylish and functional. Several of your windows gaze onto your peaceful garden.
Upstairs, you enter your home through your own large private deck. Once inside, you will find a bright and airy space boasting high ceilings throughout, one large bedroom with vanity room and walk-in closet, and two smaller rooms. Beautifully updated, your upper-level home features new cherry-stained hardwood floors, stainless-steel gas stove and dishwasher, and washer/dryer, plus beautiful original architectural details and gorgeous antique matching chandelier sets, hanging light fixtures, and sconces. Your grand living room space boasts built-in bookshelves flanking either side of the period Victorian fireplace mantel that houses your new electric fireplace. Sunlight pours in through oversized windows. Built-in closets flank your living-room window seat, which offers under-seat storage and makes the perfect reading nook. Gazing out over your garden and neighborhood, your home feels at once tranquil and removed.
1655-1657 12th Street has been lovingly renovated over the past several years to include many convenient and thoughtful touches. Both units feature ample storage. Mature fruit trees have been planted in the garden. A sliding wooden gate and two newly paved parking spaces, one for each unit, have been added, making this an unusually easy place to come home to for such an urban location. Conveniently situated just blocks from BART and mere minutes from Downtown Oakland, Jack London Square, and numerous freeways, this lovely updated duplex is not to be missed. We warmly invite you to come explore this delightful home.
Highlights at a Glance:
• Functionally, 3BD/1BA ground and upper levels of a beautifully updated Italianate Victorian duplex
• Two +/-1120 square foot units on a corner lot with bright and cheerful enclosed garden and patio area
• Conveniently situated just blocks from BART and mere minutes from Downtown Oakland, Jack London Square, and numerous freeways
• Garden features a patio and fire pit area, vegetable beds, fruit trees (including Meyer lemon, orange, Kaffir lime, Granny Smith apple, plum, and Hass and Zutano avocado), and other greenery
• Airy and modern ground-floor unit has high ceilings, bamboo hardwood floors, extra-tall windows, and a floor plan that allows you to see different rooms from different angles in the home’s open common areas
• Beautifully updated upper unit is bright and airy, with one large bedroom with vanity room and walk-in closet, two smaller rooms, new cherry-stained hardwood floors, stainless-steel gas stove and dishwasher, washer/dryer, beautiful original architectural details and antique matching light fixtures, built-in bookshelves, period Victorian fireplace mantel with new electric fireplace, and living-room window seat with under-seat storage
• Both units feature open kitchen and breakfast areas, modern appliances, built-in storage, dedicated parking spaces, and their own convenient washer/dryers
• Upper unit has its own private deck
• Updated plumbing
• Electric heating
• Some dual-pane windows
• Seismically upgraded
• Built in 1885 (per public record)