Sold $915,000 SOLD (List: 899K) - Single Family Home
Modern, “Green” Masterwork: Private Backyard, State-of-the Art Systems, Near Franklin School (comprehensive list of incredible amenities below):
Previously owned and inhabited by the Architect behind its thoughtful and sleek design, 1533 Morton is a remarkable pairing of modern elegance and sustainable building with a wonderful, private backyard — all near desirable Franklin School.
Built in 2009, this 3 bedroom (including two master suites), 3.5 bath home is tucked away on one of Central Alameda’s quiet residential streets. Its rear-lot locale offers added solitude and features a lovely front courtyard area—with fountain, arbor, and garden—near the entrance.
Polished, stained concrete floors and a bamboo-treaded staircase grace the foyer, giving one an initial taste of the home’s modern styling. An adjoining room, with patio views and a sliding door opening directly into the backyard, works as a flexible space, with possibilities as a bedroom, study, den, or guest room. A nearby full bath has modern fixtures, low-flow toilet, glass-paned walk-in shower, and stackable washer/dryer hookups.
The second of the home’s three levels features an open, circular layout with the formal living room, formal dining area, kitchen, and spacious half-bath arranged around a central stairwell—with window cut-outs, glass panes, and compelling angles, it is in a dramatic and artful feature. Bamboo flooring adds warmth and brightness throughout.
The main living area boasts balconies on either end: one accessible through French doors, sheltered with a charming arch-and-spandrel design, and another overlooking the backyard. Both present wonderful opportunities to relax, converse, or take in the surroundings. The home’s thoughtful composition allows external light to enter the living space (as well as the entire second level) from all directions.
Abundant bamboo cabinetry and Caesar Stone countertops contribute to the kitchen’s clean, modern feel, along with details like the translucent-tiled backsplash and modern fixtures. All stainless steel appliances—Bosch dishwasher, Liebherr refrigerator, and Schott Ceran gas stove—are present, as is a convenient breakfast bar. Seamlessly adjoining the kitchen, a spacious formal dining area opens to yet another balcony, providing views of the surrounding greenery, and providing access to an exterior staircase. The second level’s roomy half bath is brightened by bay windows.
One of the home’s most spectacular features is the vaulted skylighted stairwell leading to the double master suite level. Not only visually striking in its architecture, it works in conjunction with several high-placed interior picture windows to cleverly direct additional light into the adjoining, but private suites—a stylish marriage of form and function.
Each of these suites is equipped with contemporary sliding door closets and inserts for efficient use of space, as well as multiple supplementary closet nooks. These rooms are expansive enough to accommodate additional reading/seating areas, and have soaring ceilings. One is equipped with a balcony, providing access to the stairwell and all levels of the home. Both master baths echo familiar themes—high ceilings, bamboo cabinetry, Caesar Stone countertop, and translucent tile work. One bath has dual sinks and a tub, while the other features a glass-paned walk-in shower.
A private back yard features square stone slabs to create a pleasant area for entertaining, play or quiet contemplation. Drought-tolerant plantings such as lavender and herbs populate the mulched perimeter, and colorful bougainvillea climbs the latticework fence.
The home has an attached single-car garage, with multiple storage areas, a Chamberlain garage door opener, and backyard access.
Take a look at some of the incredible amenities of 1533 Morton’s ‘green’ design:
Indoor Air Quality:
- Central vacuum cleaning system
- Exhaust fan in garage for carbon monoxide removal
- Permanent walk-off matting system at entrance
- Low VOC paint and finishes
- Kitchen exhaust fan vented outside
- All non-toxic cotton insulation made of recycled cotton denim/blue jeans
- Air ducts and vents protected during construction
- All plumbing fixtures are Grohe water-saving fixtures
- Smart low pressure irrigation system
- Energy Star rated water saver Grohe dishwasher
- Dual flush toilets by Toto
- Timers at all irrigations systems
- Native species plants with no invasive species, with mulch and compost landscaping
- Efficient 2000 sq ft floor plan with creative design
- Urban infill lot
- High Walk Score, near shops, services, public transport
- Homeowner manual of green features and benefits
- Site orientation for solar panels, ventilation systems
- High efficiency rooftop photovoltaic solar energy system – 2.5 kW rated
- 220V car charging station in garage
- 92% high efficiency heating system with heat recovery ventilation
- Tank-less on-demand hot water system within 24 ft of all hot water fixtures and appliances
- Insulation at all hot water pipes
- All ductwork installed within conditioned spaces
- Energy Star rated appliances
- Compact fluorescent recessed lighting
- Energy saving lighting and fan controls
- High efficiency insulated Kolbe windows and doors with low-e glazing
- Passive design elements for natural lighting and ventilation
- 40-year composition shingle roofing
- Caesar Stone countertops—recyclable content
- Durable Trex decking material with reclaimed wood and plastic content
- Built-in recycling center
- Bamboo flooring in main living areas
- Cork flooring in bedrooms
- Stained concrete floor at entry level
- Custom bamboo cabinets in kitchen and bathrooms
- Deconstruct existing structure onsite and reuse for siding at historic home
- Air construction debris was sorted and diverted for reuse
- 25% ash in concrete for slab and foundation
- Engineered wood at structural beams and floor joists
- Cementations siding with recycled content and 15-year factory applied finish
- Pre-wired for cable TV, telephone with Cat5e, network ready
- Built-in Security System with fire and smoke alarms hooked up to a central system
- Camera (video) and intercom system at entrance door
- Photocells and motion detectors at exterior lighting