Sold $3,500,000 Sold Price (List 2.975M) - Single Family Home
The story of 1466 Grand View is an extraordinary one.
The land was purchased by Rita Moreno who retained the award-winning Modernist Architect Regan Bice to design this 4+ bedroom, 3.5 bath home with separate au-pair apartment. With some modifications, and the design consulting of David McDonald, this exquisite 5797 square foot steel and wood-based home was completed in 2006 by the respected builder W.B. Elmer and Associates.
Since its completion, 1466 Grand View has captured the imagination of the public and the marketing/design community. On several occasions, the current owners have been approached with unsolicited offers to purchase the home as well as requests to shoot various film and commercial projects onsite.
When you experience 1466 Grand View with its unparalleled three bridge views, grand scale, custom designer finishes, and surprising proximity to the Claremont/College Avenue neighborhoods, you will understand why. It is nearly 6000 square feet of bold, sleek and inviting architecture in concert with the changing landscape of its sweeping bay views; the perfect backdrop for an extraordinary life.
The property also employs some of the most cutting edge technologies in home building including a hidden photo-voltaic solar system, smart 11-zone radiant heat flooring system, fresh air system, a state-of-the art A/V system, intercom stsyem, and Logitech security camera near front door.
Features of the home include a dramatic, see-through entry that allows you to experience the incredible setting upon arrival from the street, front door or garage. It is a theme that carries throughout this home where nearly every room allows the expansive views to enhance the moments of your life.
A stainless steel and tempered glass staircase descends into the incredible, open living quarters that surround a dramatic central deck. High ceilings and walls of glass framed in steel are the backdrop for these spaces which include a living area, dining area, sitting area, half bath, pantry, wet bar, wine storage, family room, kitchen and a lush, green covered patio behind the kitchen for a moment of retreat.
The transition spaces to the bedroom quarters below echo the great modern museums of the world in their design, views and breadth of space. Each of the three bedrooms is grand in scale with ample storage and exquisite finishes. The master suite enjoys a large sitting area, dual walk-in closets with Elfa closet organizer systems and a confident master bath with designer floating vanities, freestanding tub and standing shower. A large laundry room with ample cabintry and workspace completes this level.
The au-pair apartment connects to the home down a central staircase and enjoys a private side entrance with internal transition space. It is a flexible space featuring a living room, bedroom, full bath, and a room that is wired and plumbed for a kitchen. This floor may also serve as guest quarters, offices and game room.
A final level enjoys a covered, outdoor sitting area, level planting areas (with mature fruit trees) and two massive finished spaces; one for storage, one for workshop, craft or hobby space.
- Stunning San Francisco 3 bridge view
- 5 story building with living on 3 levels
- 4 bedrooms; 3.5 baths
- Au-pair apartment with separate access; wired and plumbed flexible space with bedroom, full bath, living area, entry and potential kitchen
- 2+ car garage
- Berkeley address; Oakland taxes
- Low in the hills, easy access to freeways, College avenue, Rockridge BART and the Claremont
- Near Bentley and Kaiser Schools
- Steel trowel stucco in front of house with pebble finish on other areas
- Custom aluminum facia to match aluminum window frames
- Stainless steel downspouts and leader heads
- Acid stained concrete in entry, dining, kitchen and bathrooms
- 5’” engineered rift cut white oak in living, family, master bed and stairs
- High-end wool carpet in guest bedrooms and lower stairs
- Freestanding Danish stainless steel wood-burning fireplace
- Master bath with walls of glass and Golden Gate view
- Danish faucets over Brazilian sinks in floating vanity
- Freestanding tub with Italian tub filler
- Shower stall with view and privacy curtain
- Tiled with modern Spanish tile
- Stainless steel with tempered glass railings
- Contemporary, custom light fixtures with recessed lights throughout
- Wenge stained rift-cut oak, self closing stainless steel drawers with Swiss stainless steel handles
- Built-in Miele coffee maker and steamer
- Fisher and Paykal gas stove with two single stainless steel dish drawers
- GE Advantium microwave and Trivection electric oven
- Subzero energy star rated refrigerator / freezer
- Fu-Tung Cheng designed Zephyr hood with external motor
- Large Island with double sink
- Prep area with vegetable sink
- Wine bar
- Pantry and wine storage
- Radiant heat system throughout (11 smart zones)
- Concealed photo-voltaic solar panels on roof
- Fresh air system
- 2-partition ADT alarm system (separate zone for au-pair apartment)
- Logitech security camera at entrance
- Surround speaker system
- Central intercom with baby monitor
- 3-zone irrigation
- External storage room near kitchen entry
- Storage area behind stairs on au-pair level (future wine storage)
- Large storage room at bottom level near enclosed patio (as well as storage under stairs)
- Icenyne spray in insulation
- Structurally secured by two giant moment frames
- Weather proofing specs provided by Karl Kardel Consultancy
- Low-E glass in all west facing windows