Sold $1,500,000 SOLD (List: 995K - highest price in history of Alameda for homes under 2250 sq ft) - Single Family Home
Design for the Senses: Exquisite, Custom-Built Mid-Century Modern Retreat
Situated mere blocks from Alameda’s beaches, bike trails, and shopping/restaurant districts, 1224 Rosewood is a unique mélange of sustainable living and superior custom design. Originally built in 1963, this Eichler-inspired modern was completely reconstructed from the ground up in 2008 by the owner/architect. The interplay of light and volume lends an air of openness and accessibility to this custom-made retreat. With sustainable upgrades throughout, 1224 Rosewood is both energy-efficient and meticulously renovated to meet the highest contemporary standards. The architecture is functional, durable, and designed with a bold, yet refined aesthetic. You will never want to leave.
Highlights at a Glance:
• 3 bedroom, 2 bath single-level home inspired by the iconic mid-century Northwest Modern design of that era
• Built in 1963—and completely redesigned and reconstructed in 2008 as a personal family residence by the owner/architect
• Located just 2 blocks from the beach
• 1,884 square feet of living space, with an additional 433 square feet of finished garage space
• Effortless flow between the bright, open interior and its lush, natural private exterior
• Open floor layout features a connected living room, dining room, and kitchen, which expand into the private courtyard and blend the interior/exterior spaces of the home while stretching the square footage
• Gourmet kitchen with high-end stainless steel appliances, Silestone countertops with Heath backsplash tiling, courtyard access, and custom colored LED lights with indirect lighting for entertaining
• Living room with reclaimed redwood and cedar lumber at entertainment area with sliding doors, absorptive sound panels, courtyard access, and mid-century modern credenza
• Dining room with gas fireplace, custom hidden cabinetry with steel panels, and a large trellis which extends from inside dining area to outside dining area
• Master bedroom suite features large walk-in closet with built-in marble vanity, storage room, Grohe fixtures, reclaimed lumber king size bed with built-in side tables, linen bench, and zebra wood headboard, spa bath, dual vanities with vessel sinks, and cedar sliding privacy panel
• Guest bath features custom black walnut woodwork at tub surround, Ipe woodwork at walls, vessel sink and vanity, marble countertop, high-end Grohe fixtures with rainfall shower panel, high-efficiency dual flush toilet, linen closet, and large remote operated skylight above shower
• Entirely new plumbing, sewer, and electrical systems
• Private courtyard with dual waterfalls, natural gas fire pit, built-in gas infrared 36 inch grill, built-in wood burning extra-large Green Egg barbeque, and outdoor sink, custom-built benches, shelving, and dual gates leading to hidden storage areas
• Japanese mid-century style gardens featuring layers of vegetation and succulent walls
• Sustainably designed, with high energy-efficient upgrades
• High energy-efficient spray foam insulation
• Dual pane, thermally broken low E windows with argon gas
• Tankless double boiler serving both the domestic hot water and radiant heat hot water
• 2 electric car charging stations
• Radiant heat with custom artwork concealing the system throughout the home
• Whole house water filtration system
• Wired in wall security system
• Cat 5 ethernet ports and cable in every room
• Premium spray foam roof with additional exterior rigid roof insulation (the only roof upkeep required is a coat of paint once every 10-15 years)
• Custom sound absorptive art panels
• Engineered hardwood flooring
• Wide, open spaces and high ceilings
• Passive ventilation
• Roof and walls are currently stubbed for photovoltaic arrays
• High performance 3M solar film applied on all south facing windows to reduce glare and heat gain
• New and well-maintained fences
• Garage that is currently a finished living space, perfect as a gym and/or workspace (may instead be used to accommodate two cars if necessary, per code)
• Close to South Shore Shopping Center and Caltrans
• Custom furniture bundle available for separate sale
A Zen-like garden pathway with succulent walls guides you to the private entrance. The wide double doors can be opened when welcoming guests into the home, as the doorway elegantly frames these picturesque gardens. Chosen by various Bay Area location scouts for several commercials and on-site photo shoots, this striking mid-century modern home is photographable from nearly every angle. This is due, in large part, to its effortless indoor/outdoor flow, with bright windows looking out onto gorgeous greenery.
As you enter the home, you notice unique details such as the built-in modern art installations (which also act as sound absorption panels) and a decorative trellis that extends from the inside dining area to the outside dining area connecting both indoor and outdoor spaces. The low ceiling entry sequence expands into a 14 foot high entry/kitchen with clerestory windows and view to the backyard courtyard.
The space within the home is designed for maximum efficiency but also dramatic impact. A fluid open floor plan guides you through the kitchen, dining room, and living room. The kitchen features high-end stainless steel appliances, Heath backsplash tiling, and custom colored LED lights for entertaining, with a view of—and direct connection to—the private courtyard. The backyard courtyard is an intimate, yet versatile space that can be used for garden parties, dining al fresco, or peaceful reflection.
As you enter the extra wide hallway you find the guest bath—featuring rainfall shower panel, electric radiant floor heat, vessel sink, and miniature air plant wall garden.
Directly adjacent to the guest bath you’ll find two identical guest bedrooms with large mirrored closets and additional storage above each closet.
Farther down the generously sized hall the highly customized master suite is simultaneously luxurious and livable. A reclaimed Douglas fir lumber bed lies at the center of the bedroom—with built-in side tables, linen bench, and zebra wood headboard. The spa bath includes a Kohler whirlpool tub, sliding privacy panel, and dual vanities with vessel sinks. A walk-in closet with built-in makeup/vanity counter with marble countertop provides extra storage within the space.
The garage space offers an additional 433 square feet to the home. It currently acts as a finished livable space with a home gym, laundry area, and office space. The gym space includes industrial grade rubber flooring and an extra large mirrored closet for practicing workout routines. This room may instead be used to accommodate one large car and one compact vehicle if necessary, per code.
With beaches, Park Street, South Shore Shopping Center and an array of beautiful parks located nearby, 1224 Rosewood occupies a highly coveted region of the island. This completely reconstructed, sustainable home enjoys quick access to the beach, Caltrans, and the Alameda Ferry. The best of Alameda is all within reach.
We invite you to experience the natural beauty and tranquility of this artfully designed, one-of-a-kind home.