Sold $5,050,000 SOLD - Single Family Home
A rare and deliciously captivating marriage of natural elegance and understated grandeur, 1 Bellevue Avenue is an exquisitely renovated 7,365 square foot 6+BD/5.5BA home near the heart of Central Piedmont, featuring a sumptuous light-filled finished attic level with exposed beams and cathedral ceiling, spacious and impeccably furnished modern chef’s kitchen, and idyllic rear garden and patios. Every square inch of this beguiling residence sparkles with a light-hearted spirit, effortlessly fusing majesty and refinement to approachability and charm.
This is a home whose sublime sophistication is matched only by its irrepressible wit and playfulness. Despite the home’s vast size, you never feel lost or overwhelmed, and ingenious design touches permeate each of the home’s four levels. Exquisitely preserved 1930s architectural elements fuse brilliantly with the home’s newer touches to imbue each of its myriad spaces with a winning blend of whimsy and solidity. A stunning array of expertly designed wall coverings, several of which echo the subtle textures of stone or other natural materials, gently accentuates the home’s intrinsic warmth without ever feeling overwrought. Brilliantly selected modern chandeliers and fixtures grace several of the rooms, deftly adding visual interest and a sophisticated touch to this illustrious residence.
Each floor offers something new and exciting – even the basement, which houses an enormous family media and game room. The ground level’s organically flowing and beautifully proportioned series of spaces includes a majestic parquet-floored entry, vast living room with patio access and adjoining wood-paneled library, classic formal dining room with french doors to the front terrace, powder room, parlor, and cavernous L-shaped modern chef’s kitchen and breakfast area. Just above, the second-floor’s six bedrooms brim with warmth and personality; one has cheerful blue and white striped walls, another a ceiling of silver stars set against a blue-green background, yet another a magnetic wall and expansive views of the home’s front greenery and neighborhood; and the owner’s suite features an ultra-stylish modern bath and striated walls resembling pale stone. Four of the bedrooms enjoy en-suite baths.
Continuing upward from the second-floor hall, you arrive at the home’s hidden jewel: its sensational finished attic level, an astonishingly vast space that spans the width of the house. This room’s peaked white cathedral ceilings and cross beams beautifully accentuate its celestial air. Refreshingly bright and versatile, this expansive and loft-like pine-floored space houses several distinct yet interconnected areas, currently configured as a gym, lounge, office, and kitchenette. A full bath, enchanting secret bonus bedroom, and ample built-in storage make this the ideal place for guests or children’s sleepovers.
This home’s glorious setting and Tudor-style facade perfectly complement its interior charms. The house sits up a gentle slope on a large lot, surrounded by lush plantings and rustling trees. Its winding drive, spacious front terrace, and storybook architecture all add to its irresistible fairy-tale flavor, while its spacious and private terraced rear garden and patios provide endless possibilities for entertaining and enjoyment. 1 Bellevue Avenue is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in one of the most sought-after cities in the country. This spectacular and wonderfully inviting home is ready to be yours.
Highlights at a Glance:
• Exquisitely appointed 7,365 square foot 6+BD/5.5BA home on a beautifully landscaped 13,410 square foot lot in the heart of Piedmont
• Tudor-style facade, sweeping drive, front patio, and idyllic terraced rear garden and patios
• Exquisitely preserved 1930s elements combine brilliantly with the home’s newer touches, including stylish wall coverings, chandeliers, and fixtures
• Lush enclosed rear garden with terraced brick and flagstone patios, Japanese maples, wisteria, citrus trees, fuschias, and other flowers and greenery
• Ground level enjoys an organically flowing circular floor plan including a majestic parquet-floored entry, vast living room with adjoining wood-paneled library, classic formal dining room with french doors to the front terrace, powder room, playroom, and cavernous L-shaped modern chef’s kitchen and breakfast area
• Sumptuous and versatile light-filled finished attic level with exposed beams, cathedral ceiling, and pine floors; houses a full bath, bonus bedroom, ample built-in storage, and several distinct yet interconnected areas (currently configured as a gym, lounge, office, and kitchenette)
• Spacious and impeccably furnished modern chef’s kitchen with natural stone counters and subway-tiled backsplashes, wine refrigerator, two Bosch dishwashers, six-burner Wolf range with griddle, dual sinks, island with breakfast bar, SubZero refrigerator, breakfast nook, built-in window seats, laundry chute, and access to the secondary second-floor and basement stairs
• The second floor’s six bedrooms each have special touches, including chic wall coverings, a magnetic wall, expansive views, a star-covered ceiling, and stylish modern baths
• Convenient second-floor hall and kitchen laundry chutes to large basement-level laundry and storage area
• Owner’s suite includes beautiful modern bath with glass-enclosed shower and separate tub, dual sinks and mirrors, and dual walk-in closets (one with built-in vanity)
• Basement level houses huge family media and game room with wood-burning fireplace and two light wells to bring in natural light
• Attached two-car garage with ground-floor internal access
• Gated garden and parking
• Outdoor bike rack
• Updated plumbing and 200-amp wiring
• Dual-zone central heating
• Dual-pane and leaded-glass windows
• Seismically retrofitted
• Built in 1933