Sold $1,007,000 SOLD (List: 895K) - Single Family Home
5825 Charles is a bewitching 3BD/2BA single-level urban oasis: a home that is sure to steal your heart. Perched on a quiet hill with sweeping bay views, lush and exquisitely planted private gardens, and light-filled open common areas, this idyllic and lovingly maintained mid-century gem brims with a warmth and personality all its own.
This home instantly draws you under its irresistible spell as its indoor-outdoor feel envelopes you from nearly every angle. Nestled among manicured shrubs and plantings, the home sits comfortably back from its quiet street and apart from its neighbors, imbuing it with a feeling of privacy. Its cheerful front door takes you not into the house itself, but instead through a romantic open-air entryway bordered by bougainvillea and flowering vines. The detached 2-car garage and laundry are to your right, while the house’s entrance and enclosed outdoor dining courtyard, complete with Meyer lemon and Japanese maple trees, lie just ahead.
Entering the home, you will immediately relax into its perfectly proportioned open common areas and ingenious use of space and materials. Cleverly marrying subtle vintage elements with a modern feel and picture windows gazing out over the bay, this home has the best of everything. The chef’s kitchen enjoys ample quartz counters, stainless appliances, and skylight — the perfect counterparts to its freshly painted vintage wooden cabinets. Original oak hardwood floors and a mid-century-style dining chandelier play off the chic stone gas fireplace, while the carpeted vaulted-ceilinged bonus bedroom adjoining the kitchen feels both fresh and timeless. To your left, a bedroom wing features an en-suite bedroom with custom-designed closet (guest bedroom, au pair, or AIrbnb?), an additional bedroom, and a stylishly updated hall bath.
5825 Charles offers a plethora of wonderful ways to enjoy the outdoors. In addition to the enclosed entry courtyard, the wooden deck off the family room is the perfect place to watch the sunset or enjoy your morning coffee. The rear and side gardens are truly a thing of beauty; with winding paths, raised vegetable beds, lush plantings, and crabapple, Royal Blenheim apricot, and Flavor Queen pluot trees, there is something enchanting for every season. Everywhere you turn, sensory delights await you.
5825 Charles Avenue is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with easy access to I-80, BART, Point Richmond, East Bay hiking and biking, and the greater Bay Area. It is just one block from the SF Transbay and local Berkeley bus lines. Brimming with charm, this impeccably designed and lovingly maintained home and garden are ready for you to call your own.
Highlights at a Glance:
• Impeccably maintained 3BD/2BA 1,525 square foot single-level mid-century urban oasis
• Perched on a quiet hill with sweeping bay views and easy access to I-80, Point Richmond, East Bay hiking and biking, and the greater Bay Area
• Perfectly proportioned open common areas marry subtle vintage elements with modern touches and picture windows gazing out over the bay
• Entrancing indoor-outdoor feel envelopes you from nearly every angle
• Romantic open-air entryway, enclosed dining courtyard, and rear deck
• Original and retro interior details including oak hardwood floors, a mid-century-style dining chandelier, and chic stone gas fireplace
• Chef’s kitchen with quartz counters, stainless appliances, gas range, freshly painted vintage cabinets, skylight, and adjoining vaulted-ceilinged bonus bedroom with deck access
• Bedroom wing features one en-suite bedroom with custom-designed closet, an additional bedroom, and a stylishly updated hall bath
• Beautiful rear and side gardens have winding paths, raised vegetable beds, lush plantings, and fruit trees
• Fruit trees and bushes include crabapple+apple, Flavor Queen pluot, Royal Blenheim apricot, Meyer lemon, blood orange, raspberry, blackberry, and five different blueberry varieties. These complement what the neighbors have, and trading fruit is a fun bonus to living in the neighborhood!
• Wildflowers, herbs, butterflies, jasmine, and other flowering vines and plants in the front and side gardens and entry
• Detached 2-car garage and laundry with courtyard access
• Outdoor outlet for electric car charging
• Gray water system; fruit trees are watered with gray water
• Central heating
• Dual-pane windows
• Ample storage throughout
• Built in 1951
See more at: 5825-Charles