Sold $1,850,000 SOLD (List: 1,685M) - Single Family Home
Vacation from Home; European-Inspired Villa by Student of Frank Lloyd Wright
Frank Lloyd Wright believed in designing structures that were in harmony with humanity and its environment, a philosophy that clearly influenced his student Juan Espinoza, the Architect/designer and current owner of 397 Gravatt Drive, a 5+ bedroom, 4.5 bath home in the hills just above the Claremont Hotel and District.
Inspired by the Mediterranean cultures of Europe, the home is in quiet harmony with its canyon setting with walls of windows and level-out patios drinking in the 180-degree views of the bay, Berkeley, San Francisco and the Marin Headlands. With its generous proportions, built-in seating, custom tile work, wood-etched columns, glass ceiling, display niches, unique custom lighting, and heavy wood paneled doors — the home is an elegant fusion of world cultures that provide a sense of calm and inspiration akin to being on perpetual holiday.
Some of the many wonderful stories of 397 Gravatt Drive:
- Dramatic, gated approach with tile floor, fountain, built-in bench, tiled wall niche and double-door entry
- Exquisite open foyer with adjacent powder room blends into the central hall of the home with its walls of windows and glass ceiling that open out onto an outdoor deck with sink
- Open concept, sunken formal living room with graceful arches, built-in seating, custom-tiled fireplace, and custom-carved columns
- Elegant, open formal dining room with exotic pendant lighting and built-in credenza flanked by storage shelving
- Gourmet, island kitchen with huge walk-in pantry, state-of the art stainless steel appliances, vegetable sink, display shelving, built-in seating, workspace, and ample floor-to-ceiling cabinetry
- Family room with built-in media and storage center, book shelf, separate built-in bench/conversation area with views to the gated entry and fountain
- Over-sized two-car garage with internal access to the home to the large home office/studio/guest space with classic Frank Lloyd Wright octagonal ceiling, panoramic bay views and private full bath with marble standing shower
- The bedroom quarters begin one level below the common spaces and include a spacious, multi-room master suite with custom-tiled fireplace, coved ceiling, huge walk-in closet, dressing area, storage, library and spa-like bath with jetted tub, glass standing shower, dual vanities and ebony marble appointments
- Four more bedrooms (each with some kind of magical amenity, built-in or bonus area), two additional full baths, a balcony, a deep storage room, and a spacious bedroom-level laundry room complete the private sleeping quarters
- An exterior staircase leads to another ultra-private bonus space filled with natural light and canyon views — an opportunity for more storage or perhaps a detached office or craft space?
- Other wonderful amenities include lush landscaping, four-zone radiant heat flooring, French doors, hand-forged finishes, marble finishes, and abundant storage
- Property is sewer lateral compliant; very low pest inspection
At its core, 397 Gravatt is a romantic home. With its curvaceous rooms and sensual finishes, each room is a unique experience with distinct personality. It is a home of many moods at once playful and elegant, sumptuous and utilitarian, catering to the complex needs of modern living while inspiring its inhabitants with its exotic riches.
See more at: 397Gravatt.com